Sunday, December 10, 2017

Making progress

It was another productive day today, with me taking my own advice and deconstructing both the Buzz Bar Café and the Seaside Shack builds. It was surprisingly easy, with the tape being so old it was hanging on with a wish and a prayer.

(As I pulled out the cardboard wall for french doors, I realised that it's been exactly four years since I last made a proper scene with that wall...)

The first step was a rough build: with the door wall from Buzz Bar on the left, the temporary wall with the scrapbooking sheet I chose to use for the room when I first started thinking about it in 2014 at the back, and the french door wall on the right (I already know I only want one set of french doors on the wall so have bodged together a test with the window wall from here cut down for now). The floor is the one I used for the Seaside Shack kitchen, turned lengthwise.
One-twelfth scale modern miniature lounge in soft blue, grey and red with a sectional sofa, a fireplace and french doors.
The good news is that the wall with the french door and window works well (I'll need to cut a new wall to combine them, which is no problem). The grey pinwale 'carpet' piece I have in stash fits the floor exactly (and the scrapbooking paper fits the back wall exactly, too!)

The bad news is that the room is very squishy at these dimensions. Now this may not be a problem if I decide that the original shack is small and that therefore twelve feet across is a perfectly sensible size for a room in a house of this type (and age).

I ease the side walls out another few inches and try again. It certainly feels better, but if I decide on this size then I'll need to rethink the carpeting and also come up with a solution for having to use two pieces of the scrapbooking paper to cover the back wall (that is, if I can actually find any more pieces in stash...)

While I ponder, I play around with the artworks I'd planned to use as a gallery wall, to see if there are other ways of displaying them that would work.
One-twelfth scale modern miniature lounge in soft blue, grey and red with a sectional sofa, a fireplace and a dolls' house. Arranged loosely across the back wall are a variety of art works with a heart theme.
 (And remind myself that I really need to get back into framing again).

By this time I needed to get the washing in, but was side tracked by the painted school-chair frames sitting on the workbench by the back door.

They're now finished:
Three one-twelfth scale miniature school chairs with frames painted in seafoam colours and seats and backs made of recycled wood pieces.
(well, apart from the fact that I've not yet painted the rubber stoppers on the bottom of the legs. Part of me is thinking that I don't need to since the chairs were spray painted a different colour to what they were originally. But I have to decide if they are vintage chairs redone, or new replicas: this will inform my stopper-painting decision. And yes, I realise I'm probably the only person who would have noticed it if I'd not mentioned it...)

2 comments :

elizabeth s said...

Your fireplace wall is Dressed for Success! I love the mix of prints and paraphernalia you have on display along with the gothic candelabra and the Victorian doll house. It all looks Very Contemporary and Fresh.
And I like those distressed metal chairs too!

AMCSviatko said...

Thanks Elizabeth. :-)